Tips for Phone English Teachers (to Koreans)
hahha…I’m not really sure if I’m in the right place to give tips & strategies…(not confident again??) but I’d just like to share what I know so far. I’ve been trying to google trying to know some tips & it was futile. No such articles are available in the world wide web. I hope the following might help:
1. To kids or juniors usually about 12-14 years old – try to injest some humor. You should be not too serious in class like a job interviewer. Laughing from time to time isn’t bad right??
2. Having a lively voice also helps s lot. When the teacher sounds bored & sleepy the tendency is for the student to feel the same.
3. Having games sometimes could also encourage the student to participate in class.
4. There’s a 70/30 rule – which means that the student should be talking 70% of the entire conversation while the teacher is only 30%. This means giving them enough time to react & think about what they are saying thoroughly.
*Sometimes this is not strictly followed in cases like when the student is too beginner & only says YES & NO. Giving them the alloted time means like not talking the entire class so beware.
5. Relating the technical topics to the student’s present situation.
For example: The topic is about FUTURE TENSE. You can ask the student to tell you about his/her plans in the nearest future. By this he/she should use future time expressions & “going to” & “will”
6. Knowing the student’s tickling spot can also ensure interactive class. When the student is really interested in KPOP atists songs & fashion it wouldn’t hurt if you do some reaserch & sound as if you you’ve been a fan the whole time. Yeah…sometimes we have to be actors & actresses too..(not necessarily liars)
7. Keeping yourself aware of what’s happening in Korea is also a plus. When you are having a conversation about it, it would sound like you just live in their neighborhood.
8. The more common things you share the more enjoyable class will be.
9. Giving homework gives them a preview of what will be tomorrow’s class be like. They can be able to anticipate & prepare.
10. When the book is too easy you can insert something that might puzzle the student to study even harder.
11. Whe the student seems really good & rarely commits mistakes (there are cases that the teacher has to make corrections before the end of the class – ) tell him so but you can also say that he/mentioned expressed some sentences that can be expressed in a better & more effective ways. They are usually grammatically correct & you have to explain this as well.
Student: I stayed at home when the rain is falling down.
Better: I stayed at home when it was raining/
No comments yet.